"My Lemon Grove Summer" by Jo Thomas



"Is Sicily the place to start again?" Jo Thomas

One of the things I love about writing my Blog is some of the wonderful Emails I receive from all over the world.

Last year I received a lovely email from best selling and award winning British author Jo Thomas who told me that she would be travelling to Sicily with her family on holiday and also for research for her next Summer book.

I was really happy as I was already a big fan of Jo's books and always hotly anticipated the next one to be announced. The first book by Jo that I read was 'The Olive Branch' which was set amongst the olive groves of Puglia in Italy which then inspired me to order her first book 'The Oyster Catcher' set in Ireland and pre-order her next book 'Late Summer at the Vineyard' set in France. Thereafter I have read 'The Honey Farm on the Hill' set in Crete, 'Sunset over the Cherry Orchard' set in Southern Spain and 'Winter Beneath the Stars' set in Lapland. Jo's novels are always the perfect feel good read.

Jo writes about food, family and love and her books are always set in beautiful destinations and written in a way that brings the characters to life and makes you feel like you are transported to her wonderful locations. She always visits the places she writes about and intensely researches the area and its cuisine for inspiration for her novels.

Jo had a few questions explaining that she would be staying in a villa with James Villa Holidays which was set in the countryside near a small town on the slopes of Mount Etna but that she was looking for an Agriturismo near Catania for her families first night in Sicily, preferably one with lots of lemon trees and one where she could enjoy a cookery class to get a authentic feel of Sicilian food and cuisine.

I excitedly exclaimed to my husband "I think that Jo Thomas's next book is going to be set in Sicily and it will be about Sicilian lemons ... Eeeeek, How exciting?"

During my time visiting and living in Sicily I have got to know a lot of Agriturismi on the eastern side of Sicily. They are always a great place to go to for a gastronomic lunch.

An Agriturismo is primarily a farm with a number of rooms for guests where you can enjoy the taste of local produce, wine and local dishes and be made to feel part of the family. Most often they are restored farm houses located on quiet beautiful terrain and one immediately came into my mind not too far from Catania which I thought would be perfect for Jo and her family.

Whilst in London attending the World Travel Market in October 2017 in the Regione di Sicilia area I met the lovely Marco from 'Il Giardino del Sole', a biological farm with rooms and a sparkling swimming pool and they also did cooking classes.

With her stay at Il Giardino del Sole sorted, Jo emailed again with a "cheeky question" ...

"Did I know any lemon farmers?"

I knew people with small plots of land with lemon trees or friends and neighbours who have them in the gardens, but I did not actually know any lemon farmers.

It was time to call on my Sicilian friends for recommendations and my friend Andrea, the manager of London restaurant 'Tasting Sicily Enzo's Kitchen', gave me a name of an extensive century year old citrus farm near Catania.

Thereafter I received a message from the owner telling me that Jo and her family were more than welcome to come and visit his farm. 

Everything was set and Jo and her family happily headed off to Sicily.

Whilst out there it was fabulous watching Jo broadcast Live on Facebook especially at Il Giardino del Sole where her cooking class with Marco and his family, which was supposed be a three hour class, turned into five. Also to see her at the citrus farm and again in Taormina and on Mount Etna. It was wonderful to see that she was falling in love with Sicily.

After her trip I excitedly awaited for news of the title of her book and also I could not wait to see the cover as all her previous covers had been so beautifully designed enhancing the essence of the destination.

Earlier this year Jo emailed to tell me the name of the book ...

The book was to be called "My Lemon Grove Summer".

So just to entice you here is the storyline …


🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋

Zelda's impulsive nature has got her precisely nowhere up until now. A fresh start in a beautiful hilltop town in Sicily looking for new residents, together with her best friend Lennie, could be just what she needs. And who better to settle down with than the person who knows her the best?

But the sun-filled skies and sparkling seas can't hide the shadow hanging over Citta d'Ora, which means not everyone is pleased to see their arrival. The dreams Zelda and her fellow new residents had of setting up a new life might be slipping away. But a friendship with restauranteur Luca could be about to unlock the possibilities that lie in the local lemon groves. And there's a wedding on the horizon that might just be just what the town needs to turn it around ...

Could a summer in Sicily help Zelda learn to trust her instinct and follow her heart? 

🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋


Jo sent me an early copy of My Lemon Grove Summer which I devoured on my roof terrace at home in Sicily last month under the watchful eye of Mount Etna.

In the book she brings to life the magic of the island including the scents, flora and fauna, the food, the culture, the terrain and the characteristics of the local people.

Spring is a wonderful season for citrus fruit and Jo captures the scents of  Sicily to perfection. Last month we stopped at a supermarket that is located next to a lemon grove and as the Sicilian sun started to warm the fruit the scent could have been just the most wonderful fragrance in the world.

Jo also captures the moods of our volcano Mount Etna and also the superstitious characters of the older generation of Sicilians, something that we experienced when we first bought our house in Sicily. We too soon learned to be less English and be more "Sicilianu", living life the Sicilian way.

She even shares a wonderful ride on a scooter, something I could share a few tales about.

Just like in the book, whilst I was reading it, Mount Etna decided to put on a delightful show showering us with a fine black volcanic sand on our roof terrace, then lighting up the night sky with fountains and rivers of lava.

Perhaps Etna was showing her appreciation for Jo's beautiful book.

I do not want to reveal too much about the story as it will spoil the surprise for you.

My Lemon Grove Summer is a beautiful love story with a lovely happy ending that brought tears to my eyes. I would definitely recommend choosing this book for your visit to Sicily or even if you are not having the pleasure of visiting our beautiful island Jo will transport you there in spirit wherever you are in the world.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Jo for the beautiful acknowledgment that she wrote for me in the book and also for choosing Sicily as a destination for her novel. Jo you were a complete pleasure to help and we look forward to seeing you in Sicily again soon.

I would also like to thank Marco and his beautiful family at Agriturismo Il Giardino del Sole who last month gave us a tour of their delightful farm and cooked us the most delicious lunch. Keep an eye out for my next Blog post.

Also a special thank you to Andrea at Tasting Sicily UK Enzo's Kitchen, an authentic Sicilian restaurant in the heart of London's theatreland, for introducing me to the lemon farmer. 

Sicily is an island full of rich history, myths, legends and romance, it boasts an amazing coastline with stunning beaches and coves with a sparkling blue sea. The food is incredible with influences from all over the Mediterranean. There are many delightful towns to explore, vineyards for volcanic wine tasting, archaeological sites to discover and tempting offshore islands to hop on over to. So why not come to visit our beautiful island, you never know you might become a homeowner just like us and Zelda and Lennie.

I hope you enjoy reading the book ... let me know what you think !!!


Here are a few 'Lemony' things
that I got up to whilst reading my book: 🍋



With Marco and family at Agriturismo Il Giardino del Sole



Reading my book under the watchful eye of Mount Etna 



Can you believe the size of our lemons?



When life gives you lemons 



Ssssssh … am reading



Lemon and Lava Stone Earrings, 
a beautiful gift from a beautiful friend



Its Limoncello Time



Fritto Misto di Mare 
(Deep fried seafood)
at Catania Fish Market
seasoned with Sicilian lemons



I lost my favourite reading spot
to Daisy



Visiting Agriturismo Il Giardino del Sole



Thank you Etna,
A volcanic black sand shower



Our lovely friend Valerio, 
 the always happy hotelier of
Hotel Castello San Marco,
taking a sneak peek of the book



Beautiful acknowledgements,
Thank you Jo



… and finally a postcard by Jo last year
with her inspiration, 
magical Mount Etna


(Photo credit: Jo Thomas Author)


"My Lemon Grove Summer"
by Jo Thomas
is available NOW on EBook
and in Paperback on 11th July 2019
Order your copy now
↓↓↓

https://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Lemon-Grove-Summer-Thomas-ebook/dp/B07GDMYR4M/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2T0I3WTHDTLRO&keywords=my+lemon+grove+summer&qid=1559913742&s=gateway&sprefix=my+lemon%2Caps%2C131&sr=8-1


If you enjoyed this Blog post you might enjoy this one too:

"14 Ways to use Sicilian Lemons"


and find out what happened when we went to meet
 Giuseppe at his century year old citrus farm near Catania
"... a day at an Organic Citrus Farm"


NEXT Blog post:
"Agriturismo Il Giardino del Sole"
WATCH THIS SPACE
coming soon

(Cover photo: Giardini Naxos and Taormina)


🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋



Thank you for following me at
White Almond Sicily BlogSpot

I am also a contributor to
www.timesofsicily.com

For NEW Blog updates and all things Sicilian
you can also follow me on
Facebook www.facebook.com/whitealmondprivatesicily/
Twitter www.twitter.com/sicilyconcierge/
Instagram www.instagram.com/whitealmondsicily/


For Travel Tips, Trip Advice and Recommendations


(Taormina Flower Weekend)

Love Sarah and Daisy 

🍋🌳🍋


Popular posts from this blog

Forza d'Agro

The White Lotus Season 2 Locations 🎬

25 Sicilian Myths and Legends