White Almonds and Me … Destiny Calls

As a child one of my favourite memories was family Christmases with my Grandmother and in particular the sweet table lovingly laid out with doilies, the usual mixture of Quality Street, Turkish Delight, Orange and Lemon Slices and Newberry Jelly Fruits all surrounded by a homemade Christmas Cake …. But I was always obsessed by the sugared almonds. “Just suck the sweet until the sugar dissolves and then you will reach the exotic almond”.

I took many dance classes as a child until I was 16 years old, including character dancing which is a form of folk dance. My favourite dance was The Hungarian Branch dance which involved dancing with the branches of almonds trees with white almond blossom, of course growing up in London real almond tree's would be hard to find so my dance teacher found artificial branches.


And there it began …. The White Almond.
So years later at 18 years old I was invited to my first Greek wedding and at the end of the day I was given by the Bride and Groom one single heart shaped sugared White Almond with the tiniest piece of red ribbon “Put these under your pillow tonight and you will dream of the man you are destined to spend your life with” …. I still have that sugared almond and the piece of ribbon.



I learned that colour matters, White for Weddings and Holy Communions, Green for Engagements, Pink or Blue for Christenings or Birth Announcements, Red for Good Luck and Silver or Gold for Anniversaries.


At my own wedding I gave my guests five white almonds, which represented Health, Wealth, Happiness, Long Life and Fertility.


I discovered that Almonds play a big role in Sicilian life, whether they are baked into biscotti, in our famous marzipan fruits or used at Easter Time … but I will save that story for another time.


About me … I spent fifteen years in the banking industry before making a move into the world of weddings and events, dealing with clients from top class London hotels and luxury fashion houses to guest lists for supermodels and royalty, always believing in a high level of client satisfaction. Then last year I became a victim of bullying in the workplace and I was forced to make the decision to leave a job that I loved. Little did I know then that it was to be the best decision I ever made … and so I ran away to our home in Sicily.


Myself my husband and our rescue dog Daisy drove home to Sicily for a Sicilian Summer and then the concept of White Almond – Private Sicily was born.


Through our love of Sicily we created a Concierge Service covering Taormina, Mount Etna and South East Sicily. We only use the finest local contacts to create a special itinerary for our client’s and our philosophy is to treat each client as friends. In our experience visiting Sicily is an elite club you join, once you have been and fallen in love with her.


Why are we called White Almond??? On our first trip South to the beautiful Valley of The Temples in Agrigento our private guide encouraged my husband to pick a furry unripened almond from the hundreds of almond trees that surround the historic plateau … I hasten to add that husband versus unripe almond did not agree with each other creating yet another almond story to add to my life.

The actual almonds involved in the crime
Valley of the Temples, Agrigento surrounded by Almond Trees


Destiny called !!!!!!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Forza d'Agro

25 Sicilian Myths and Legends

Ripley … Sicilian Filming Locations