White Almond - The Blog

Imagine a place full of traditions, ancient history, myths and legends … lying on beaches surrounded by breath taking scenery and crystal clear waters, a place full of culinary delights with a mild and sunny climate for at least nine months of the year, a place with its own smoking volcano. Imagine Sicily.

On our first trip to Sicily I was overwhelmed by the hospitality of the island and the Sicilians. Even after having our Sicilian home for seven years we are still good friends with the owners of the hotel we first stayed in, we are always welcome to pop in for breakfast and I have to say the breakfast at Hotel Villa Sirina is an amazing start to the day.



As soon as I booked our first trip, me being a book geek, I ordered two books “The Rough Guide to Sicily” and “A House in Sicily” by Daphne Phelps. Since then I have read every book written about Sicily and anyone who has visited our Sicilian home are astounded by the amount I possess.

My mission was to learn everything about our newly adopted home.

After creating our concierge company White Almond – Private Sicily last year I have now decided to start writing a blog to share with you the finest things about Sicily. My promise is to blog about places, history, culture, food, stories of celebrities who have visited (Elizabeth Taylor hitting Richard Burton over the head with a guitar whilst filming Cleopatra springs to mind) and also feature “a day in the life of ……..” plus guest blogs. I aim to use my own photographs for a personal touch.

I now divide my time between Sicily and London and I am always looking for new experiences to enjoy and share.

What do I love about Sicily? Everything …. What do I miss when I am in London? Apart from the amazing friends we have made and the families that have adopted us, I miss that a five minute walk to the sea front for a pint of milk turns into one hour because everyone stops to say Ciao (two hours if we have our dog Daisy with us), I miss that I do not need to wear a watch because our local church alerts us to what the time is, I miss that I can go to visit my adopted Sicilian big brother in his bar every morning and he will squeeze me the juiciest Sicilian oranges for breakfast, I miss waking up in the morning and the first thing I do is to check what activities Mount Etna has planned for the day.


Sicily continues to keep us captivated …………….

Popular posts from this blog

Forza d'Agro

Ripley … Sicilian Filming Locations

25 Sicilian Myths and Legends